HONDA CBR 1100 XX SUPERBLACKBIRD
Generalities Manufacturer HONDA Production years from 1996 to 2007 Engine and transmission Engine inline 4 cylinders, 4 stroke liquid cooled Valvetrain 2 camshafts, 4 valves per cylinder Displacement 1137 cm3 (79 x 58 mm) Max power 1996-2001 164 ch @ 9500 rpm Max power 2002-2007 152 ch @ 9500 rpm Redline 10800 tr/min Max torque 1996-2001 124 Nm @ 7250 rpm Max torque 2002-2007 119 Nm @ 7250 rpm Feed 1996-1998 4 carburators KEIHIN Ø42mm Feed 1999-2007 Electronique fuel injection PGM FI. 4 venturis Ø 42mm Cluth multidisc oil bath Gear box 6 gears Primary gear 1.571 (88/56) 1st 2.769 (36/13) 2nd 2.000 (32/16) 3rd 1.579 (30/19) 4th 1.333 (28/21) 5th 1.167 (28/24) 6th 1.042 (25/24) Final gear drive 2.588 (17/44) Transmission chain type 530, 110 links (play 25-35mm) Engine oil (advisable) type 10W40 API SE, SF, SG or more Oil Capacity 4.6L total, 3.9L (drain + filter) Spark plugs 1997-2000 CR9EHVX-9 (NGK) or CR9EHIX9 iridium (NGK) Spark plugs 2001-2007 IMR9C-9H iridium (NGK) Frame, suspensions, wheels, brakes Frame aluminum perimeter diamond type Front suspension (travel) telescopic fork Ø 43 mm (120 mm) Rear suspension (travel) adjustable single shock (120 mm) Front brake 2 discs Ø 310mm, 5 mm thick, 3 pistons NISSIN calipers Rear brake 1 disc Ø 256mm, 5 mm thick, 3 pistons NISSIN caliper Front rim 3.50" by 17" Front tire 120/70 x 17 index (W) Front tire pressure 2.90 kg/cm2 Rear rim 5.50" par 17" Rear tire 180/55 x 17 index (W) Rear tire pressure 2.90 kg/cm2 Dimensions, weight, capacity Length 2160mm Width 720mm Height 1200mm Wheelbase 1490 mm Ground clearence 130mm Seat high 810 mm Dry weight 223 kg Shipping weight 254 kg Fuel tank / reserv 22L/4L (96-98), 24L/4L(99-04), 23L/4L (05-07)
If CBR1100 directly succeeds to the CBR1000F from the early 1990s, it did not mean the same vocation. Honda having until then never really tried to produce the fastest motorcycle in the world (surpassed by Kawasaki for 10 years successively with the GPZ-1000 RX 125hp and 255km/h, ZX-10 tomcat 136hp and 268km/h and ZZR- 1100 147ch and 280km/h), but the revenge arrives at the end of 1996. In fact, the CBR1100XX is simply the first production motorcycle to beat the mythical 300 km/h chrono; 303 km/h to be exact. It was presented in September 1996 in Europe.
- price in 1996: 11730
- price in 2007: 13600
Here in details, product number of CBR1100.
- 1996 : 10968
- 1997 : 15959
- 1998 : 15437
- 1999 : 12925
- 2000 : 3653
- 2001 : 9091
- 2002 : 4503
- 2003 : 3581
- 2004 : 2044
- 2005 : 2875
- 2006 : 3008
- 2007 : 1094
TOTAL: 85138 units
As his flying homologue (the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird) that inspired the engineers from Honda, the Super Blackbird was studied in wind tunnel. Its aerodynamic drag coefficient is lower than a 250cm3 racing motorcycle category of the time. Almost everything in its design is dedicated to speed.
Contrary to what one might think, the XX engine is not based on CBR1000F but CBR 900RR one. This four-cylinder in-line aluminum has a displacement of 1137cm3. Compared to a CBR 1000, the cylinder walls are thinned to obtain a more compact engine width. The distribution chain is positioned sideways. For innovation, this engine has two balancers (even Harley will take the idea from 2006 for his 1600cm3) which remove vibrations generated by the engine for optimum comfort.
We can note the presence of a fall sensor which switches off the engine when the motorcycle is found horizontally, HECS3 anti pollution system which included the recycling of exhaust gases (PAIR system) and the presence of two catalysts incorporated into the silencers.
The aluminum perimeter frame is a triple Diamond section type. The fork is 43 mm diameter and not adjustable. The single rear shock is adjustable by preload nut and also has a hydraulic setting.
Braking is entrusted to the Dual CBS system, already equipping number of motorcycles such as HONDA range la CBR 1000F, Pan European, Goldwing, X-11.
Front tire dimension is 120/70/17, 180/55/17 for the rear and speed index is (W) in parenthesis (different from W max speed 270kmh compare to (W) which correspond to a superior index more than 270kmh) considering the performance of the bike.
The XX has a center stand, 6 lashing lugs for luggage on the back. The dashboard is complete and offers analogue dials for the meter, tachometer, water temperature and fuel gauge. Clock full the panoply. The 1999 model is equipped with a burglar integrated in key coded chip (HISS). In 2002, the odometer (with two tripmeters), gasoline, temperature gauges and the clock becomes a digital display. The tachometer is now seatted on center.
This motorcycle was produced for 10 years, the heart of which it has quite advanced. Here are the details on changes:
- 1996 : 1997 model World Press presentation.
The engine produce 164ch @ 10000 rpm for a peak torque of 12,4daN.m @ 7250 rpm.
- 1997 : No change.
- 1998 : Thermostat modification.
- 1999 : Major update, including anti-pollution standard Euro 1.
- Switching to electronic fuel injection PGM-FI, lower gasoline consumption (theoretical) by 8%.
- Air injection system in the exhaust port (PAIR system).
- Sensor or probe clatter particularly active between 3000 and 6000 rpm.
- New pairing of exhaust pipes which pass from 1/2 to 3/4 to 1/4 and 2/3.
- Longer intake pipes on the cylinders 2 and 3.
- Disappearance of the manual choke to an automatic choke active until 40░C coolant.
- Increasing the capacity of the water radiator. It passes from 32 to 24mm thick but increases surface.
- New cooling fan for increasing the venturi effect.
- Widening and lowering of the oil cooler to allow room for air tunnels.
- Forced air intake for a power increase from 200km/h.
- Improved Dual CBS brake system at the valve between front and rear brake.
- The tank increases capacity to switch from 22 to 24 Litres, its bottom is redrawn.
- Modification of the front wheel axle and spacers.
- The side stand light gives way to light FI (Fuel Injection).
- Introduction of the HISS anti-theft system: change of the ignition switch and the ignition key which is longer.
- The rear light becomes larger and bulbs are now superposed , previously they were side by side.
- The shape of the rear indicators becomes more round with a form of "diamond".
- The color of the clutch housing becomes titanium.
- The number of clutch discs dicreased from 9 to 7 (discs and reinforced springs) and controls softened with -15% effort on the lever.
- The rear fender changes shape under the seat to accommodate the electronic surplus.
- Weight cut: redesigned footrests -100gr, redesigned handlebars -80gr.
- Redesigned brake lever, the older tended to turn on the brake light at high speed.
- 2000 : No change.
- 2001 : Significant evolutions
- Dashboard with digital display.
- Longer fairing (about 3.5cm)
- New charging regulator with larger fins.
- More powerful battery 11Ah YTZ12S instead of YTX12-BS 10Ah.
- New fuel pressure regulator rated at 50 psi instead of 43psi.
- New spark plugs type IMR9C-9H (NGK) iridium (formerly CR9EHVX-9 (NGK)).
- Emergence of to the lambda probe (NTK) in addition to the exhaust manifold which is now stainless steel made.
- 2002 : As from September 2001. Turning to European standards of pollution with:
- New engine mapping to erase rough engine at low speeds and reduce the level of pollution.
- Introduction of the catalysts build in muffler.
- Decrease of the power (152ch @ 9500rpm) and the torque (119Nm @ 7250rpm).
- The frame has now a black matte finish.
- 2003 : The Headlight switch disappea (OFF / pilot light / road light) on the right handlebar. Now ignition of the headlight is automatic as soon as you turn the ignition key ON. (New European standard).
- 2004 : No change.
- 2005 : The tank saw its decreased capacity to 23L. The tachometer graduations become blue.
- 2006 : No technical change, only two colors available. Last year of production.
- 2007 : Selling stocks until exhaustion.
COLOR \ YEARS CODE 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 Titanium metallic YR-183M X X X - - - - - - - - - Mute black metallic NH-359M X X X X X - - - - - - - Candy mythos magenta R-228C X X - - - - - - - - - - Candy glory red R-101C-U - - X X X X - - - - - - Candy phoenix blue PB-284C - - - X X X - - - - - - Darkness black metallic NH-463M - - - - - X X X X X X X Accurate silver metallic NH-146M - - - - - X X X X - - - Candy tahitian blue PB-215C - - - - - - X X X - - - Candy blazing red R-195C - - - - - - X X - - - - Gunpowder black mat NH-436M - - - - - - - - X - - - Candy phoenix blue / 2tons PB-284H - - - - - - - - - X - - Accurate silver metallic / 2tons NH-146E - - - - - - - - - X - - Iron nail silver metallic NH-167D - - - - - - - - - - X X
According to various magazines, CBR1100XX is capable of reaching over 310 km/h (to the odometer) for analog versions and only 299 km/h for version with digital display. That said, the tachometer continued to climb ...
Indicative speed (before revlimiter) according to injected version:
- 1st : 120km/h
- 2nd: 170km/h
- 3rd: 210km/h
- 4th: 250km/h
- 5th: 280km/h
- 6th: 299km/h (speedometer can't showing more...)
- 0-100 km/h in 2.4 seconds and 41 m
- 0-200 km/h in 8.5 seconds and 281 m
- 100-160 km/h in 3rd: 3.2 seconds
- 100-160 km/h in 6th: 6.7 seconds
- 200 m standing start: 6.7 seconds and 188 km/h
- 400 m standing start: 10.0 seconds and 231 km/h
- 1000 m standing start: 19.1 seconds and 273 km/h
- max speed: 303 km/h
- press file 1997-1999.pdf
- spec 2007 (anlgais).pdf
- Honda accessories.pdf
- color codes 1996-2007.pdf
- technical information.pdf
- manual owner 1998.pdf
- manual owner 2005.pdf
- service manual 99-02.pdf
- full power.pdf
- carb service.pdf
- gear speed indicator.pdf
- scottoiler installation.pdf
- cruise control.pdf
- Akrapovic brochure.pdf
- power commander 3.pdf
- electrical draw.pdf